Harassed
This past weekend was Seema's mehndi, and then bridal shower, and then sangeet. Suffice to say, it was much filled with activities, with very little sleep, but uber fun.
Mehndi was Friday night. Cool thing to note: I learnt how to make (home made) chat papri. I even made it when I got home on Sunday; made the papris, aloo, tamarind chutney and raita all by myself--roomies, S and I devoured.
Bridal Shower was Saturday afternoon; I spent lots of time with Sarah aka Radha this weekend (a fellow Sag)--what is it about fire signs? I think we're just better.
Sangeet was good except Seema put me on the spot by requesting I sing her a particular song. So I did, complete with impromptu speech that had me (very unsuccessfully) choking back tears. On the morning of we had our hair done, while all the other brown girls got their long lustrous tresses done in up-do's I got harassed by the hairdressers who repeatedly kept asking me "So what are you going to do?". Added to the fact that several people told me I should grow my hair long again, plus the fact that my new hardresser cut my hair REALLY short this time, has given me a bit of a complex about my hair.
I am overwhelmed with the idea that seems is getting married. A little relatedly, I am peeved that so many people over the past week have asked me "when will you get married?" At first, I give a flabbergasted pause. "Not for a long time, I've got to graduate first, figure stuff out, grow up, etc. And why the hell are you asking me that?! I'm still young!" Meanwhile I'm thinking "am I getting to that age? am I old?" To which they say "Cz, what's the point? Just get married!"
What the hell! What do they mean, what's the point?! And I hate how instinctively I immediately related it to my age. It sickens me! Moreover, since the furnace broke in Seema's house over the weekend we were very cold, and my joints were hurting--it freaked me out a lot.
All of these, and other incidents are making me start to get the I'm-getting-old bug, and it's really starting to get to me you guys! This is so not me!

11 Comments:
You are 21! You are not old! You are nowhere near there. I'd say you have atleast 8/9 more years of freedom left in you! :-D
3:13 p.m.
If it makes you feel better, I think it's mostly a cultural thing. Most of the young people I know think that 28 is the perfect age to get married. The fact that you are getting bugged about it at (not quite) 22 is probably because most of the people doing the bugging are from the "Old Counrty."
7:06 a.m.
haha ipshi - don't make ME feel old now :P
allah! ami ki bura - muhahhaha
hey congrats to seema!
3:53 p.m.
So it has started, eh? And you don't even have the guys' excuse of getting financially secure first.
9:27 a.m.
2 parts of woman's life?
First - Why you are not getting married?
Second - Why you didn't get married?
1:34 p.m.
Oh God, me @ the same age... and same questions from people and it got to me!
I am old... NO!!!!!
7:53 p.m.
My sympathies Ipsi. Really desi guys don't have to go through these tortures. I have a niece who is like 17/18 and I feel sick seeing people having the idea of getting her married. Whenever there is a talk of a prospective bride for some uber cool groom, they quote her. I wonder that must be very tough for her to tolerate.
8:44 p.m.
sorry for the late reply everyone--it has been a crazy couple of days.
zeenat--i'm not really worried about my freedom per se as much as the idea that everybody else thinks i'm somehow, u know, "old" now.
vega--as per our discussion, yes and no. I personally think the perfect age to get married is 23/24. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT I AM PLANNING ON GETTING MARRIED NEXT YEAR.
sim--ur not old, ur my age. it's so troubling when other people think you're old.
mezba--i'm not sure i agree altho I know where you're coming from; I think you're referring to justifying one's choices to the desi community. well, first of all I've never been one to do so. but second I think more and more people (even uncles and aunties!) are increasingly more supportive of both women and men making something of themselves before they consider marriage.
masti-boy: so people would have you think.
alpine--thanks for the moral support! Yeah, we're still young/naive/not ready for adulthood!!!
rezwan--thanks for the sympathies. I fortunately don't have people doing that to me to as great an extent as others since I am with someone and it's common knowledge to the whole community. But being a 20+ woman of desi origin, you can always expect pointed questions from random aunties.
*sigh*
6:50 p.m.
amar bon ta deekhi boro hoye gese!!! talking like an adult and all, I MUST be getting old!
2:11 p.m.
ab, shuddup man :|
i'm not reayd for this!
2:36 p.m.
Happy New Year 2006.
9:43 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home