Of things that bug, puzzle, excite, amaze and inspire me.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Two Little Ducks (twenty-two!)

My birthday's coming up. Here's a list of things that I'm craving right now, for those who don't know what I *truly* desire.

- more vacation days
- a desk calendar, you know the kind you tear one page away everyday and you get a new cartoon? what the hell are they called?
- a funky mug the size of a pitcher, for my morning tea. Or maybe, just a pitcher
- 1955-2003: Legend Of Johnny Cash CD, I know I know I'm such a sucker for commercialism. But I do love his voice.
- Gift-wrapped Joaquin Phoenix
- this ultra funky blue bag/purse I've been eyeing
- Kamila Shamsie's "Broken Verses" available April 2006 (Bloomsbury)
- a shorter haircut
- a chocolate cake, obviously
- the perfect pin to match my favourite ring
- go to the Body Blitz bathhouse with a gal pal (see here)
- Edward Said's "Orientalism"
- an un-white-washed (read bland) recipe book for making "Indian" food (read vegetarian).
- everything ever written by Yeats
- lifetime supply of nutella
- a red Smart Car
- somebody to tell me I don't have to go to school anymore
- cowboy boots with the funky heels I saw last week
- a manicure
- summer

For some reason, for the first time in my life, I'm a little perplexed about turning a year older. There's something about 22. For a lot of people you're just about to finish school, starting grad school, or just starting to work. You're no longer the worry-free 21-year-old, and the question of about what, really, is the plan stan, starts taking a kind of sleep robbing importance. You're also far from the certainty of 25.

On occassion of my looming birthday, I've been thinking about why it feels so different this year. Maybe because this past year has been a series of milestones for me--but is that really the reason? I'm not sure. Or maybe because I'm the only one among my close friends to be working, and as a cause we're both not able to entirely comprehend eachother. Maybe because my mother bought "gold bangles" for me this year because she's "getting ready". I'm not sure where I stand, with almost anything. I'm going to be 22, yet I cannot yet refer to myself as a "woman". I'm a girl, a female, a distressing damsel, a maid, a lass, a chick even--but a woman? It sounds so definitive. While here I am, not quite sure of anything, really.

22 Comments:

Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

hey awesome - now if only i could figure out who;s gettign waht so u dnt end gettign duplicates.

by the way edward said's orientalism is a bloody good book! and u should have heard him on interviews !

3:38 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot, I am turning the same age soon. It feels old, you know! But I can't wait till I finish the 21st year, probably the worst of my life, ever.

4:37 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care that it's your birthday Ipsh or that you are a good friend. You will NOT get a gift wrapped Joaquin Phoenix for your birthday. I'm closer to his age, ok?

--Ripa

10:24 a.m.

 
Blogger mezba said...

Happy Birthday.

And no, there's no stability at 25. Life is still complicated. Depends on what you do I suppose.

If only I came up with Harry Potter first... there's enough tales of Rakhoshes in Bangla shohitto.

Ah well .. birthday wishes.

11:14 a.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

heheh i realized i should learn how to type first before posting comments.

ipshi, ripa - joaquinn phoenix? don't know what exactly u see in him....there are so many more delicious boys around!


heheheh *runs for cover*

1:15 p.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

sims - i don't want presents! just want you to BE THERE on my birthday!

I've read many references and passages to Said, found it very intriguing but never got around to getting it from the library; you know me.

pseudoarab - tell me about it!! Whenever I start bemoaning my age at work however, everybody tells me to shut up. Hope you have a better year ahead of you :)

rips - i wanted him first, plus u missed your chance cz you're birthday's not till next year BWAHAHAHA. besides, i already told you what i want for my birthday, ie., for you to read Harry Potter.

sims he is so FREAKIN sexy!! for example, the little cut on his lip...*sighs*

mezba - you're probably right, it's just that at 21/22 you feel like hey by 25 I'll have it all figured out, you know? but when you're 25 you probably think that about being 30 or 35... it's such a vicious cycle!!

are we all doomed?!? o_O

3:26 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sims - He's not goodlooking in the conventional sense. But he looks tortured which means passion which means he'll screw you stupid. :)

Ipsh - that cut on his lip is so very sexy indeed.

--Ripa

6:56 p.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

HAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ripa - damn, now u'll start having ME think he's hot too ;) Damn, I need a new uhm...crush!


ips - i can't be there on dec 11 :( i'm coming dec 17th - BUT we're still meeting up for LTH yeah? and how about i give u the orientalism book???:D among other things of course.

speaking of which, I wish ppl would get me presents. I like presents.

oh and ipshi - on dec 11th, in addition to your bday, it'll also be exactly 4 months to MINE! :D

8:47 p.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

lol rips! i wouldn't be able to think of a better way to describe him...

sim, whatever u want, but it's still not what I really want, hmph.
but i'll take a raincheck on LTH :)

we have to atleast do something special for your birthday!!

6:34 a.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

hehe i know - but for now we should definitely have a second bday party for u when i get back! I'll make u a scrumptious chocolate cake (vegan cake but it's awfully yummy!!!)

10:08 a.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

simica--a vegan cake? why would you do such a thing to me? what is the point of a cake that has no eggs? it's a crime! A CRIME I TELL YOU! why HAVE cake if it is vegan?!??!

I refuse, out of principle!!!

i'm kidding (only half), if that's what you want me to have for my birthday i can hardly refuse (but why sim, why)

*really scared for you*

11:03 a.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

why would u climb to the top of the food chain just to eat grass?

1:08 p.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

btw how do u make cake w/out eggs??????????
ghash diye cake banai naki abar?

1:09 p.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

oh ye guys of little faith.


it's what i WAS going to make for you out of the goodness of my heart and because I wanted you to marvel at the wondrous cooking skills of moi, simika. But now i think I shall make you the gooiest, eggiest cake ever....


wait a minute...somehow i think i was just tricked!


heheh and it's not ghash, u gobets, and now u wont' find out how it's made! i hope everyone is happy!

5:50 p.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

simika we kno ure dying to tell us so spill the beans kore felo as to ghaash diy cake kemne banai...

2:03 a.m.

 
Blogger Tazzy said...

Happy belated birthday Ipshi :D
Hope you get all that your desire, even Joaquin Phoenix!! (what a sexy man rh? )

unfortunately you are right about the vicious cycle...nothing seems certain when you are 25...things settle down a bit maybe and you stop moaning to yourself about growing old... temporarily at least...thats all ;)
But 22 is a good age :D

err I have to vouch for Sim's vegan cake...as dubious as it sounds, it does taste amazing!:D

7:10 a.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

thank you shimi, u're a true friend! hugs -- unlike other ppl here who do NOT appreciate my skill!

asif - akhon aar boley laabh nai :(
boltey cheleo bolbo na - hurt feelings and all that.

ipshi - take note of the phrase "hurt feelings"

9:32 a.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

its ok recipe peye gechi!
next week e try mere dekbo how good ghash cake tastes...

10:58 a.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

sim - there is so need to e so dramatic. i have complete faith in your cooking abilities and i'm sure it would take like the best vegan cake in the world. what i said was, i refuse out of principle. isn't that the equivalent of the margerine of cake? and why have margerine when you can have butter, or better yet, ghee?!

but if u want me to have it, i will :)

11:08 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything made by Sims is yummilicious - even if it really was grass.

--Ripa

4:41 p.m.

 
Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

ipshi - heh, nah u're right. but u can afford to say it cause u're like a size -2, i'm like a size 241!

ripa - awwwwwwww hehe just for that i'll make u whatever u want to eat!

7:53 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? no plans on updating anymore this year? i have nothing to read!!!!

5:07 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home