The Real Deal
At a curry party a few weeks ago, an Uncle invariably asks me
"So what are you studying"
"English Literature"
"Oh, so you want to be a teacher." (Notice it is not a question)
"Uh, no. I actually work in publishing"
*Pause because he doesn't have a clue what the hell that is, and ponders smugly what in the world except teaching could an English Grad do thats remotely respectable*
So, I elaborate
"We publish books and I work in marketing and publicity"
"Oh" he says with a knowing smile like he has me all figured out.
"My son studied Economics, and now he is working in marketing. But you know, real marketing."
As is characteristic of me, when idiotic things are said, I for some reason become so flabbergasted at the mind-numbing dumbness of these people that I am rendered speechless for a few minutes.
First of all buddy, what the fuck is "real" marketing? And second of all, what the hell is an econ grad doing in marketing? That's actually not something to be proud of as he's doing something that a commerce grad would probably do, and believe me there is nothing more insulting for an econ grad. And it's obvious you don't know that econ has nothing to do with business. Google it, you numbskull.
I wish I had gotten over it soon enough to tell him this to his face. But don't worry, next time I meet him I will bring it up and then break the news to him. Stupid 4 feet 9 brown man.
I so hate brown "uncles and aunties" who think they know everything. I just can't wait to meet him again to tell him off.

8 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
5:15 p.m.
hahahaha i hope i'm there when u meet him :) i want to see this
5:16 p.m.
I feel the need to confess something.
I was going to vent how rude this person was for suggesting that your career isn't a "real" job.
Then I thought, "How many times have I dismissed people because I felt their major isn't a 'real' major?"
I guess we're all guilty of elitism, in one way or another.
5:32 a.m.
hehe sim. but he's in NJ which means you'll have to actually take a trip with me someday!!! *egad* :P
vega no!! :|
well, we all know philosophy majors are stupid. ;)
6:10 a.m.
You tell him Ipshi!
--Ripa
1:18 p.m.
As is characteristic of me, when idiotic things are said, I for some reason become so flabbergasted at the mind-numbing dumbness of these people that I am rendered speechless for a few minutes - now this was fun to read (mind-numbing flabbergasting stuff ? ;-D )
2:21 a.m.
I thought all english grads become bank CEOs like Tony Comper, and all philosphoy grads are mutal fund CEOs like Gordon Cheesbrough. No?
10:42 p.m.
That's what I'm talking about!
6:23 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home