It was one of those days today. When even the sky is awake and listening.
Today, my Philosophy of Tagore (P.O.T hereafter) class left me oddly inspired. I say oddly because Kathleen O'Connel, although she has good taste, is one of those people who are incapable of exhibiting any semblence of excitement or emotion, let alone eloquence when they talks about very interesting things. This makes it really hard to appreciate the things she talks about. I'm finding out about all these behind-the-scenes things about Robindronath, and although this makes him seem more human, what inspires me is that he believed and was able to do so much towards making his vision a reality.
I'm talking about Shantiniketan ofcourse, but also his Sriniketan and Visva-Bharati projects all of which were experiments involving many risks, which to me shows just how much faith this man must have had in humanity. That he believed so strongly in art as the only lifeblood and hope for humanity, he developed and put into practice an entire philosophy of education revolving around it, making me more certain in the power of the human soul.
I was awestruck at being so moved by KC's equally unmoving lecture, about something a simple white-bearded man did almost a hundred years ago. I came home from class trembling, with a kind of excited energy and probaby also from not having had anything but tea all day, as if I couldn't contain the emotions welling up inside me. I felt as if my heart would burst with joy and wonder thinking there are so many possibilities! So many things I have still not even fathomed conquering; that there are people out there who believe in beauty and hope; that dreams can come true; that I could do or be anything, and all I'd have to do is believe.
I hear people being bored and discontent with life and just don't understand it. Every day passes me by and I feel as if I have not done enough, seen enough, lived enough. There is so much to do, so much to see out there, folks - just spread your wings and fly!

2 Comments:
Lovely lovely blog Ipshi :)
Always wanted to take those NC courses- 'Philosophy of Tagore' and the Satyajeet Ray course as well- but I hated the fact that the classes ended at 10pm (atleast it did when I was there) which was far too late for me to be in school if I ever wanted to get home to Mississauga. *sigh*
It might appear that its too late now, but one of these times I will take it.
All the best.
6:40 a.m.
Thanks Shimi! They've switched it to 6-9 pm now, which is still quite late, specially in the winter :S. I went ahead and decided to minor in South Asian Studies [since all my electives tended to go that way anyway!] so I'm taking the Satyajit Ray class next year :D I hope you'll take them someday soon - they're really worth the bother of being in school in the evening. Goodluck!
10:21 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home