Of things that bug, puzzle, excite, amaze and inspire me.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Aso Aso Pasey Aso, Pasey Aso Mor Monoharo!

Oriya is such a sweet language! I had another encounter with it last night at the Dance-Drama Dhrona put on by The Chitralekha Dance Academy of Toronto. It was part two of the four part Mahabharata Chronicles Series that they are doing in Odissi which is my favourite kind of Indian Classical Dance, because it's so sensual, graceful and subtle and uff so lovely! My roomie and bud Mehreen was in it, and it was awesome to see the increased fluidity and maturity with which she performed this year. The music was very repetitive, and when you've got to listen to repetitive not-so-good music for over 2 hours, it can get quite tedious. The story was also quite muddled. However, overall the production was good, but last year's was better. I was kind of thrilled to find that I understood Oriya a little bit better this year, it's so much like Bangla! My favourite dancer in that troop, Prithula, looked even more gorgeous and danced even better this year... that girl is so talented, it's very inspiring. It makes you wonder how it can be possible that her dances are so much more moving than her teachers', I couldn't take my eyes off her, and niether could the rest of the audience I'm sure. :)

We're hosting a concert with Ulhas Kashalkar tonight, a Marathi vocalist. It ought to be fun, although I'll be coming home early to work on my paper. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home