Of things that bug, puzzle, excite, amaze and inspire me.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Where's the Damn Phone Guy?

So, two of my most favourite people are in South Asia. Yes, they decided to do this to me right when I quit my job so that I can go into even more debt buying phone cards. In addition, while my life goes through major upheaval, they have the audacity to say that they can't call me because they can't get phone cards/get to STDs because of the rain.

Do they expect me to believe that little tiny drops of water (which can sometimes turn even Karachite deserts into a chaotic Venice) can get in the way of someone with a will! These are the imbecillic people I call my friends! The bloody rain! Now I've REALLY heard everything. What nerve!

Positively outraged, I call my mom to complain--because you know, none of my friends live in the country any more so I don't have anyone else left to call--and she tells me her best friend is over so can she call me back? I get sad/upset/downright whiny and she laughs at me, my mother, she laughs at me as if it's a hoot, hangs up merrily and proceeds to not call me for three days.

I stew.
Pissed.
Hurt. Rejected.
My sleek Sony Ericsson, silently mocking me, taunting me.
No one loves me.

I become determined to be impossible and difficult. I am deliberately moody and after I make expensive phone calls (almost everyday) to people whom I shall refrain from naming, I spend the first 5 - 10 minutes cursing at them, the weather, the "they" of the bad connections, I tell them how much I detest them and don't care to talk to them and that they shouldn't be wasting my time. I also make sure to hammer in the point several times that this is the "last time" I am calling them because I am now poor, and besides don't wish to speak to them anyway, so am just calling them to let them know.

I don't understand why when I am being dead serious and voicing my deepest, most hurtful of pains, these people--who are supposed to be the dearest to my soul--can take it so lightly, to the point that they laugh at me. They laugh it off, tra-la-la airily.

Sigh.

This has spurred some activity from the land of nihari at least--God, do they even have electricity there? or Phones? This is giving the Heart of Darkness a whole new meaning!--but I can hardly be expected to laud something that's just the bare minimum, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home