Of things that bug, puzzle, excite, amaze and inspire me.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Two Weeks

I packed my bags and surprised my dad on his birthday. Two of my Bhaiyas (brothers, cousins in this case) are here from BD and are staying with my folks, almost all my other Bhaiyas in North America ( I have a lot of guy cousins, in fact I am the only female from both sides of the family on this side of the Atlantic) swooped across hundreds of miles, or maybe just a river, and insane fun was had. At the BBQ SB tried to spike the Tandoori Chicken marinade with soya sauce, eggs and bread crumbs. No, I'm not kidding. Had I not single handedly stopped him, god knows what we would have had for dinner, which I will admit turned out fabulously and I can honestly say I had something to do with it. AB as usual came in at the last moment trying to steal all the glory, but no one fell for it this time.

The next two sleepless weeks were also amazing. Getting drenched in the rain while on a walk (on purpose but later pretending to parents like we couldn't find a single thing to offer us shelter in all of NJ), taking a long lazy cruise around Manhattan, Manhattan by day, Manhattan by night, pictures pictures pictures, addafying till the wee hours, Madame Tousseau's Museum, 3-cart-caravan at Walmart, dried up pretzels (eet-zels), walking along the beach at midnight with RB singing his heart out to the tune of the waves, pining for red wine and finally getting it--a lot of it, a lot of a lot of other things in the meantime, realizing that my parents are fun(ny) drunks, dressing up, banishing Ammu from the kitchen for a day, Atlantic City, the beach (again), losing spectacularly at the slots, the night sky, classical music, drunken singing of Bangla band songs, practising my Bangla that's getting rustier by the week and a lot of soul searching somewhere in the middle. All of it seems so insigfnificant to you, written out like this, but all of this filled my two weeks to the brim. I have a loud, fun, chaotic, half crazed family and am missing them so, so much.

S is back, only to leave soon when we begin the first chapter of our long disance relationship (LDR) *shudder*. Until then, lots of plans so let's not think about it just yet shall we?

5 Comments:

Blogger mezba said...

Being with family and then friends is always fun, nah? That's what I miss most about B'desh and Ottawa, where all my relatives used to stay. Now ofcourse they are all here in Toronto and I tell myself it's all good ;-)

Never did bread crumbs in bbq chicken before. Have you been on the Water's Edge cafe in NYC? I heard it's great on a sunny day.

9:47 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds totally wonderful! And also good to know LDR is over, did he come home with loads of goodies? I am sure just having him back was great enough!

12:52 p.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

mezba - definitely. never checked out water's edge -- will def add it to my list for the next trip


sb - ji na, lemon juice is a standard in tandoori chicken recipes and moi knows that. you did too want to add bread crumbs!! and cheese sauce, ar na ja ni koto kichhu!! i mean i've heard of creative license but you were just getting out of hand...

nitu - it WAS! can't wait to go back. LDR is over, only to start again next weekend *brave smile* totally wonderful to have him back and we have a kerjillion plans until d-day so am just in denial right now.

1:57 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For you muslims (terrorists) it is ok for cousins to marry amongst themselves. so don't worry about.

9:35 p.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

wht'd u mean "trying to steal all the glory"? amake chara bbq hoto naki? who would light up the grill, and more than that, who stood around and bbq'd all evening long while everyone else frolicked about?

4:25 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home