Of things that bug, puzzle, excite, amaze and inspire me.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Walentine Woes

When sharing v-day plans in the lunch room the other day, someone said "we don't celebrate valentine's day". It was said in this grave, how-could-you-think-we-celebrate-valentine's-day tone. It's not like I said, what're your Eid plans while you're polishing your sterling silver cross encrusted with diamonds, for heaven's sake. Valentine's day is not even a real "holiday". That's another thing that boggles me--why is it called a "holiday" what part of still having to get up at the break of dawn, and work, or go to shcool, do you consider to be holiday-like?! I don't understand why people take it so seriously. I am equally frusterated by the balloon laden lovesick types to the one's celebrating "anti-valentine's day" with gusto.

I shall not lie, I used to be one of these fools. The first valentine's day after Siy and I started dating he was happily unaware of the fact that v'day fell in February. After a very, shall we say, unique day, I was devastated and convinced that I was destined for a lifetime of misery because--forget about getting anything handmade or thoughtful which I was secretly wishing for--I did not even get chocolates or flowers, the boy wasn't just unaware of the importance of this day (to me) he was simply unaware!

The second year he bought me flowers on the week previous (which for some reason made me think I was looking forward to a week-long celebration and showering of presents on me). But it turns out he was just playing it safe... by giving them to me in early Feb. He figured he had done his duty to keep me happy for another year and prompty forgot when it fell.

He somehow, despite all the adverts on TV, radio, the nauseating mall decorations, misses the point every year. Since somewhere between our second and third years, I, a woman of the world, have started taking matters into my own (newly manicured as of last week by the way) hands.

Sometime in late January...
"Siyam, do we have any valentine's day plans?"
*pause*
"When is it again?"
"It's on the 14th of February!! Why can't you remember!! Remember--February usually has 28 days and it's on the date that's half of 28--how hard is that to remember!!!"
"Oh yeah, yes we have plans."

Somehow, I don't believe him.

But somehow, I'm glad. I think I might have turned into one of those very annoyingly excited about valentine's day types otherwise. Now, it's just an excuse to have a good time. In fact, we are going out on a "group date" including couples and singles tonight for a buffet. And I don't think I'll be getting flowers, but I think I'm OK with that. (But don't tell Siyam, just in case.)

3 Comments:

Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

heheh so what DID happen on valentine's?:)

9:06 a.m.

 
Blogger goBgoB said...

no flowers, as expected. but he's made some "plans" for tonight, so we'll see :)

10:24 a.m.

 
Blogger Asif said...

all you wishy washy people... what can I say... :)

5:01 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home